In Maryland, a child is reported abused or neglected every 10 minutes. For every reported case of abuse, two go unreported. Child abuse and neglect cost Maryland taxpayers $1.5 billion each year. Yet for every $1 invested in our cause of prevention, it is estimated that the state saves $15 on treating its long-term effects.
The Family Tree is the leading authority in Maryland for the prevention of child abuse and neglect.
Our Vision is that all children are raised in safe and supportive families and communities. We do that through proven, research-based programs that strengthen families and break the cycle of abuse and neglect.
Each year, we reach more than 19,000 individuals with research-based programs and services that empower families and provide support to communities. Our services range from a single conversation on our Parenting HelpLine, to a supportive relationship that can last a lifetime. They include:
- Parenting Classes
- Home Visiting
- Anger Management Classes
- Children & Youth Services
- Parent Leadership & Support Groups
- 24/7 Parenting HelpLine
- Community Education, Outreach & Training
- Public Policy & Advocacy
Our Core Values
Our values are the qualities, customs, standards, and principles that the organization believes drive our success. They are the basis for what we do and how we do it. Taken together, they identify The Family Tree ‘way.’ These are the values that govern our mission:
- Mission Focused – We pledge to make a significant commitment to strengthening and supporting families, staff and childcare providers.
- Inclusion, Equity and Anti-Bias – We are committed to continuously evaluating our organizational policies & structure, program procedures and individual acts to create a diverse culture free of exclusion, racism and oppression.
- Collaboration in Teamwork – Collaboration in teamwork is essential to achieve our mission and our success. Supporting each other and demonstrating leadership through teamwork in the community, is why we are enthusiastic and successful in what we do.
- Performance & Recognition – We expect commitment and quality performance while meaningfully recognizing staff and volunteers’ strengths and achievements.
- Excellence – We care deeply about what we do and continuously strive to improve and thrive through data-powered decision making, best practices and feedback from our partners and participants.
- Respect & Integrity – We approach our staff, families, volunteers, child care providers and other stakeholders with respect and sincere kindness. Compassion, respect and equality to all is critical to our continued success.
The Family Tree has deep roots serving families in Maryland. The Family Tree is the resultant agency of the 1997 merger of two small, but well-known and well-respected child abuse prevention agencies in the state – Parents Anonymous® of Maryland and the Child Abuse Prevention Center. Backed by 23 years of pre-merger experience and 20 years of its own, we have helped nearly 300,000 families statewide.
Child Abuse Prevention & Treatment Act (CAPTA) is enacted.
Founded Parents Anonymous® Chapter in Maryland. Services delivered in Baltimore City & Prince George’s County
Founded Child Abuse Prevention Center (CAPC). Services delivered in Anne Arundel & Harford counties.
Merged Parents Anonymous® and CAPC to form The Family Tree, bringing services to Baltimore City and Prince George’s, Anne Arundel, Harford and Baltimore counties.
Developed “A Vision for the Future” Strategic Plan.
Opened The Family Tree’s new headquarters at 2108 N. Charles Street.
Completed the Campaign for The Family Tree.
Named Maryland Chapter of Prevent Child Abuse America.
The Family Tree receives AAA Accreditation (the highest rating) from the National Exchange Club for the Prevention of Child Abuse. Launch of the Strategic Plan for Statewide Center of Prevention for Child Abuse.
The Family Tree earns the prestigious Seal of Excellence from the Maryland Association of Non-Profit Organizations.