Facts & Figures
- Headquartered in Baltimore City with satellite offices in the Greater Baltimore and National Capital areas, we are committed to ensuring every Maryland family has the tools to raise children to become healthy, productive and competent adults.
- More than 23,000 people each year receive help from The Family Tree through our programs and parenting classes, which are backed by research and proven to be successful.
- We do this with the help of 45 professional staff, as well as 489 volunteers who donate 11,291 hours of their time each year.
- We have an active Board of Directors consisting of 41 members who sit on 8 committees to ensure we continue to operate with innovation and ethics.
- We are a national affiliate of Prevent Child Abuse America, Circle of Parents, Parents as Teachers, and The National Exchange Club.
- The Family Tree is the lead agency of the multi-sector Maryland Partnership to Prevent Child Sexual Abuse, which oversees the planning and implementation of the Enough Abuse campaign.
Effective & Efficient Programs
- We keep families together and children out of the system. That saves the state $70,000 per child per year (if that child was to be placed in foster care).
- For every $1 invested in our cause of prevention, it is estimated that Maryland saves $15 that would have been spent on treating the symptoms.
- Two years after completing The Family Tree’s parenting education program, 94% of the families remain intact with no children removed from the home. In addition, 84% of families did not experience a subsequent referral to CPS.
- Over 90% of families who received our home visitation services have babies born healthy, receive timely medical care, and avoid emergency room visits.
- Nearly 97% of callers to our 24-hour Parenting HelpLine report increased feelings of confidence and competence in addressing their current challenges.
- 85% of parents who attend our support groups report reduced stress and 100% learned new ways of coping.
- The Family Tree has been strengthening families since 1974. Learn more about our history.
The Family Tree is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit serving as the leading authority in Maryland for the prevention of child abuse and neglect. Our strategic plan, Moving Families Forward, calls for a dramatic ramp-up of services between FY 2018 and FY 2020. Our overarching goal is to build stronger families throughout Maryland. We will achieve this by making three key impacts: family impact, community impact, and societal impact.
- We are proud to have the coveted 4 Star Rating from Charity Navigator for strong financial health and a commitment to accountability and transparency!
- We have a $3 million annual operating budget, yet public funding only covers 40%. The remaining 60% comes from private donors, who, over the past four decades, have helped thousands of families across the state.
- 75 cents of every dollar donated to The Family Tree goes directly to programs and services that help children and families thrive.
- FY 2018 Audit
- Form 990 – FY 2018
- Donor Privacy & Confidentiality Policy
- Annual Reports
Stacey Brown, M.Ed., LCPC is the Executive director of The Family Tree, a state-wide child abuse prevention organization that serves over 29,000 people each year.
After the retirement of our Executive Director Pat Cronin, Stacey Brown, assumed leadership in September 2023. Stacey was previously the Director of Programs and Services at The Family Tree and, prior to that, the Manager of Parenting Education. Stacey is a member of the State Council on Child Abuse and Neglect as well as numerous other committees that are committed to supporting and strengthening Maryland’s families. She has a combined eight years of management and leadership experience at The Family Tree and over 20 years of progressive experience in the field. Stacey brings to the position a vast wealth of knowledge, fresh ideas, and an engaging presence.