Parenting can be one of the most fulfilling yet challenging roles in a parent’s life. Being a new parent during a pandemic adds another layer of challenges. It is difficult to focus on parenting alone when there are also relationships that must be maintained, work community and family obligations, and everything in between.
Being a perfect parent is not the goal, nor is it a realistic expectation. Stress can also make it difficult to not only parent but to focus on your bond with your baby. But wait! There is good news! As parents, you can always reconnect and continuously build on your relationship. Each day is a new opportunity to bond
Plus, in order to reconnect with others, especially children, it’s necessary to first reconnect with yourself, look inwards, and take a moment to ground yourself.
Ways to Reconnect With Yourself as a Parent
When your child or children are in a safe place, take five minutes to yourself. Use this time to focus on:
- How have things been going that day?
- How have you been feeling?
- What can you do to support yourself at that moment?
- Find a small activity that you can do frequently that brings you joy.
Ways to Reconnect with Your Baby
What is something you and the baby can do together?
- Do you have a favorite song to start a dance party?
- Are you able to go for a walk?
- Cuddle Time – spend time holding, rocking, singing, talking, and reading to baby.
Using creative ways to reconnect allows you to stay in tune with your child’s needs as well as your own. By staying in sync, your parent child relationship is strengthened. So, get out there and begin “reconnecting” with baby and yourself.
If you are interested in home visiting services to have additional support on your parenting journey, contact The Family Tree today!